With every passing day, the popularity of Japanese used vehicles is increasing. Japanese vehicles are famous for their reliability, comfort and durability. Almost every country in the world import used vehicle from Japan. Like other countries, Bangladesh, a low-lying riverside country located in South Asia, also import large of used vehicles from Japan. As prices of vehicles are touching sky, people prefer used vehicles as they get quality car at 50% less prices.
Bangladesh is an important place for exportation of Japanese used vehicles. Around 80% of the cars on the road of Bangladesh are Japan imported. Vehicle imported in Bangladesh should be a right hand drive vehicle as vehicle moves on left hand side of the road. Importation of used cars, used jeeps, used microbus, used minibus including other old vehicles and tractors are allowed, provided the following conditions are followed:
- Vehicle should not be more than four years old.
- Importation of used vehicle should be done only from the country of origin. Importation of used vehicle is not allowed from any third country.
- A certificate issued by Japan Auto Appraisal Institute (JAAI) should contain age, model number and chassis number of the used car. That certificate should be submitted to the customs authority.
- To determine the age of the imported car, the date will be calculated from the first day of the next year of manufacture of chassis.
Documents required for port clearance:
- Original Passport and copy of Work Permit
- Certificate of Title and Registration
- Registration, Invoice to determine age
- Country of Origin Certificate
- Original Bill of Lading (BoL)
- Vehicle Condition Report
- Letter of Authorization
- Import Permit from Chief Controller, Import and Export for foreigners.
Import Tax Rate on used vehicles imported in Bangladesh-
- Import Tax: 0-40%
- VAT 15%
- 2.5% infrastructure development surcharge is levied on imports
Note: Excise taxes are also levied on vehicles. Duty free importation of one used vehicle in Bangladesh is allowed only for Diplomats and Privileged Persons. All other Bangladesh nationals and foreigners have to pay duties to import a used vehicle.
Ports for shipment of vehicle in Bangladesh are port in Chittagong and Dhaka. Popular Japanese model in Bangladesh is Toyota. Generally for shipment of RoRo (Roll-on, Roll-off) method is used for vehicle shipment. However, on request of customers more expensive shipping method of container shipping is arranged.
Vehicle imported in Bangladesh should be not be more than four years old and should be JAAI certified. When importing a used vehicle in Bangladesh taxes are levied on vehicles. Duty free importation of one used vehicle in Bangladesh is allowed only for Diplomats. Ports for shipment of vehicle in Bangladesh are port in Chittagong and Dhaka.