The Japanese automobile industry is one of the largest and prominent automobile industries in the world. Large numbers of vehicles are produced and exported from Japan every year. Not only new vehicles, large numbers of used vehicles are also exported from Japan. Japanese vehicles are engineered properly and are safe to drive, that’s why Japanese cars operate well, even in case the driver forgets the scheduled maintenance. Day by day the popularity and the market of Japanese used vehicles is increasing tremendously. Even the presence of many online portal sites helped in the popularity of Japanese used vehicles.
Like other countries across the world, Egypt import used vehicles from Japan. Importing a vehicle is not a difficult process, but while importing a vehicle, importer should abide by all import regulations to clear customs smoothly. Importation of used vehicle is allowed in Egypt only for diplomats. Used vehicle imported should be under one year from its date of first registration in another country. Importation of only right hand drive vehicles is allowed in the country. Importation of diesel vehicles is strictly prohibited in the country.
- Original Certificate of Title and Registration
- Original Commercial/Purchase Invoice
- Original Passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Original Bill of Lading (BoL)
- Authorization letter, locally issued in Egypt
Duties and Taxes:-
- Customs duty between 40% and 135%
- Tax varies between 10% and 35%
Duty Free Importation:-
- Expatriates working within the Egyptian Government are allowed to import vehicle duty free, provided they must guarantee re-exportation of the vehicle.
- Expatriates working for non-governmental sector are allowed to import a vehicle duty free only if the expatriate is the owner or partner of a private company/project in Egypt. In this case, duty can be covered with local bank guarantee.
Requirements are: proof of ownership/partnership from Egyptian Investment Authority, company commercial registration documents, and taxation documents.
- With Trip ticket system, duty free importation of vehicle is allowed for a maximum period of 6 months, provided the importer should submit trip ticket documentation and plates. Once the period is over, the vehicle should be exported for at least 6 months before shipping back to Egypt again. Licensing fees is only applicable on these vehicles.
Major shipping ports for used vehicles in Egypt are El Iskandariya (Alexandria), Port Said and Damietta. RoRo (Roll-on Roll-off) shipping port is the common shipping method for vehicle shipment. However, on request of customers, more expensive yet safe shipment called container shipment method is used for vehicle shipment.