Situated geographically in Southwest Asia, Jordan is among other countries that import used vehicle from Japan. The popularity of Japanese vehicles is due to their high quality, reliability, longevity and safety. There are certain regulations that should be followed while importing used vehicles in Jordan to clear customs smoothly. For permanent importation of a vehicle, it should not be more than five years. Passenger vehicles operating on diesel are not allowed in the country. Used vehicle imported in the country can be imported on various grounds; however there are certain criteria that are to be followed.
- Temporary Importation:
Returning citizens or foreigners with valid license plates may obtain a Temporary Entry Permit under the following conditions:
- The Temporary Entry Permit is required for vehicle clearance and allows the importer to drive using its origin country license plates and registration for 3 months; the permit is renewable for 3 additional months.
- The vehicle must be licensed in the country of origin and carrying metal plates.
- The registration with the department of motor vehicles must be valid for at least 8 months. After 8 months, the owner must take the vehicle to the Zarqa Free Zone to pay the necessary duties and obtain Jordanian license plates, or can re-export the vehicle out of Jordan or sell it duty free.
Note- Vehicles imported under Temporary Entry must be guaranteed by the Regional office through posting a bank guarantee with the Directorate of Customs Department in the amount of the exact Customs duties and taxes. Once the vehicles are re-exported out of the country, an application must be made by the regional office accompanied with the finalized re-export Customs form to the Directorate to cancel and return the bank guarantee in order to close the official files under which the vehicle was entered into the country.
Vehicles older than 5 years models are not allowed for importation on permanent entry basis in to Jordan. Used vehicles imported must be transported to the Zarqa Free Zone in order to be tested by the Bureau to determine its eligibility to enter the country as per specifications of the Jordanian Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Licensing. Vehicles must pass the test; otherwise, recommended modifications / alterations must be made by the Bureau to meet required country specifications. The shipper is responsible for all costs.
Vehicles of Diplomatic missions in the country are exempted from paying custom duties and taxes and the exemption must be applied for through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Documents required:-
- Passport showing national identification (ID) / Residence Permit showing time abroad for a minimum of 12 months (returning citizens)
- Original Bill of Lading
- Original certificate of Title
- Import Customs Declaration Form
- Original Commercial/ Purchase Invoice
- Registration Certificate (foreigners seeking exemption)
Duties and Taxes:-
Customs Duty 30%, VAT 16%, import tax 2.50%, extra Tax 1%. Duties to be paid are based on the assessed value of the car by the customs department. Customs duty on vehicle depends upon the size of the engine and the model year. Exemption on vehicles imported by returning Jordanians is given provided the vehicle was exported from Jordan with all customs duties paid and is now being re-imported. Otherwise duties are to be paid.
The major shipping port in Jordan is the Port of Aqaba. The most common shipping method, RoRo (Roll-on Roll-off) is used for vehicle shipment. However, on request of customers, more expensive yet safe method of shipment, container method is used for vehicle shipment.
Jordan, situated geographically in Southwest Asia is among other countries that import used vehicle from Japan. For permanent importation of a vehicle, it should not be more than five years. Passenger vehicles operating on diesel are not allowed in the country. Used vehicle imported into the country can be imported on various grounds; however, there are certain criteria that are to be followed. Customs duty on vehicle depends upon the size of the engine and the model year. The major shipping port in Jordan is the Port of Aqaba.