Japan is one of the important sources of automobile industry and its various brands are exported to almost all parts of the globe. Japan has consequently gained the reputation by offering vehicles that are performance driven, safe, and high on quality. The popularity of Japanese used vehicles has spread to all countries across the world. Turkey situated in Anatolia and the Balkans, bordering the Black Sea also import large numbers of used vehicles from Japan.
The development in the technology has made the process of importation an easy process. It is not difficult to import a used vehicle from Japan to any country across the world. While importing a vehicle, importer should be aware of all rules and regulations for vehicle importation in the country. Importation of left-hand drive vehicles is permitted in Turkey.
Temporary import of vehicle:-
- Vehicle with a foreign plate is allowed to be imported for maximum of six months in any twelve months period.
- Retired persons may import their vehicles for up to one year if:
- Documents are provided that they do not reside in their home country.
- Retired (including due to disability) and/or are eligible for an interim pension.
- At the end of permitted import period, the vehicle should be taken out of Turkey.
- It is not allowed to re-import the vehicle in Turkey with six months of the previous exit date.
- Used vehicle importer should show a certificate of ownership and insurance coverage valid in Turkey for the entire period of the expected stay to Turkish Customs.
If following actions are done by the importer, then he/she is subjected to penalty:
- Using vehicle for purposes other than those for which it was imported.
- Renting the vehicle to others.
- Not exporting the vehicle before the end of the legal term of importation.
- Not entrusting the vehicle to Customs personnel for impoundment as required.
- Selling of vehicle within Turkey.
- Use of the vehicle by someone other than the person who has been granted the right of temporary import.
- Without legal permission, replacing parts or accessories imported with the vehicle.
Documents required for customs clearance:-
- Importer’s passport
- Residence permit
- Original Bill of Lading
- Original Purchase/ Commercial Invoice
- Bank guarantee- supplied by local bank in Turkey
- Original Certificate of Title and Registration
- Original Proof of Insurance and driver’s license
- “Carnet de Passage”
- Power of Attorney(produced and notarized in Turkey)- giving authority for Destination Agent to arrange customs clearance.
Important points to consider while used vehicle in Turkey:-
- One car allowed per family.
- During customs clearance, presence of importer is important.
- The automobile must arrive within three months prior to or three months after the customer’s passport is stamped for entry into Turkey (only for Turkish Nationals). Foreigners should not have anything arriving under their name until the Work Visa is stamped in their passport.
- Vehicles older than three years are restricted to be imported.
- If the vehicle is shipped along with the household goods in the container, then the household goods will be released only when the vehicle clear customs.
- Minibuses are not allowed to be imported in Turkey regardless of make and origin.
- A non-Turkish National may avoid import duty provided there is a Letter of Guarantee. However, it is necessary to pay local Taxes.
- Some customs forms to be signed by the car-owner and local employer.
- If vehicle is imported temporarily, then it is not allowed to be sold to Turkish nationals.
- Private foreigners can import only when they have a working and a residence permit.
- Dual nationals are not allowed to import vehicle in Turkey on a permanent basis.
Used vehicles imported in Turkey are shipped through Istanbul port. Generally, RoRo (Roll-on Roll-off) shipping method is used for vehicle shipment. However, on request of customers, more expensive yet safe method of transportation, container shipment method is used.