Cargo Tracking Note (CTN) also known as Bordereau de Suivi Cargaison (BSC) or Loading Certificate is an official shipping document that contains information related to the cargo and its movement between ports. Various shipper councils in different countries require this document while vehicle importation. CTN is requested by Customs to importers for clearance of cargo. All documents related to cargo must have CTN number if shipped under CTN. The CTN number must be provided to the ocean carrier at the loading port for addition in the manifest and Bill of Lading. Cargo traveling by sea must be issued with a CTN before departure by an approved agent.
After the 11th September, terrorist attack on the USA, for the safety, and security, marine cargoes are getting tracked by countries in accordance with ISPS (International Ship and Port Facility Security) Code. Many Countries like the European Union, Asia, the Middle East, the United State and Africa have made CTN compulsory. The Nigerian Port Authority has also made CTN a mandatory document as part of procedure for cargo security and safety. The document must be obtained at the Port of Loading. CTN generally contains shipper information, consignee information, details of cargo including weight, dimension, value of shipment, and how the cargo is shipped.
The CTN registration is possible once-
- The used vehicle exporter and the importer are registered into the CTN database.
- The goods have been shipped.
- The final documents are available-
- Final Invoice
- Transport Document (in sea shipment case)
- The Export Customs declaration
- In absence of CTN, either cargo is re-imported to the load port or fine is imposed.
- All cargo imported should be CTN compliant and CTN reference should be declared in Bill of Lading and manifest by the supplier.
- CTN Document fee is payed at the time of payment for the vehicle by the used vehicle importer.
- A copy of the export Custom document (with cargo value declared) and the commercial invoice have to be uploaded before validation.
- A copy of the Bill of Lading is mandatory prior to final validation.
In order to apply for the CTN, shipper should complete the excel document and send the application per email to the local C.M.C. representative for validation. To make it easier and comfortable for the importers, the procedure has been designed to be as simple as possible.